We’ve all heard the saying: “There are no stupid questions.” That’s a good thing to keep in mind when it comes to your AR-15. The myriad components that make up an AR-15 can be confusing, but we’re here to help you sort it all out.
Magazines are generally interchangeable with other AR-15 rifles of the same caliber, but they may not fit in your gun if it’s a different model. For example, if you have an AR-10 and want to use your AR-15 magazine in it, it won’t work properly.
In this post, we’ll answer the most commonly asked questions about AR-15 magazines and show you which ones are compatible with different types of ARs.
Which Ar-15 Magazines Are Interchangeable?
AR-15 magazines are a great way to save money if you’re looking for extra magazines for many different calibers of AR-15. They’re also a convenient option if you want to buy just one magazine and have it work with multiple rifles.
Here’s a quick reference chart of some known compatible AR-15 magazines:
Because they are so popular, manufacturers make many different styles of AR-15 magazines that fit in the same rifle. However, there are some differences between them. Here is a quick guide:
- All AR-15 magazines are interchangeable with each other and will work in any standard M16/AR15 style magazine well (except AK47). This means you can use any brand’s magazine in another brand’s gun without worrying about whether or not it will fit right or load properly.
- Some types of AK47 Magazines might not be compatible with all M16/AR15 rifles because their dimensions might be too large to fit into the loading port on some rifles but most should be able to use at least some brands’ products even if we don’t recommend them over others due mostly cosmetic reasons such as material type rather than functionality issues
What Size Magazines Are Available For An Ar-15?
AR-15 magazines come in many different sizes. The most common AR-15 magazine size is 30 rounds and each magazine holds a maximum of 30 bullets. Other common types of AR-15 magazines include 10-, 20-, and 50-round versions.
Each type of magazine has its own specific purpose, but all serve to increase the amount of ammo that can be stored on hand for quick access in an emergency situation.
- Most standard sized magazines are made from steel, polymer, or aluminum and are sturdy enough to withstand repeated use without showing significant wear or tear over time.
- However, some manufacturers also produce plastic versions with varying degrees of durability depending on the material used (such as polymer).
Does The Ar-15 Use Ak Mags?
As you may have guessed, the answer to this question is no. The AR-15 magazine is a different size than that of an AK and so they’re not interchangeable. In general, it’s best not to try to force magazines of different types together, as doing so can cause damage or injury.
If you want to know more about magazines for your particular rifle, check out our guides on which AR-15 mags are best for you or how many rounds does an AK hold?
Will A M16 Magazine Fit An Ar-15?
The M16 and AR-15 are both 5.56mm NATO standard rifles, so their magazines are interchangeable. They’re the same size (30 rounds), feed from the same ammunition source (5.56x45mm) and have identical capacities (30 rounds).
The M16 uses an aluminum magazine with a steel floor plate while the AR-15 uses a nylon magazine with a polymer floor plate. The main difference is that you can’t put an M16 magazine in an AR-15 or vice versa without modifying it to fit properly in each gun’s magazine well.
Do Ar-15 Magazines Fit All Ar-15?
There are two main types of AR-15 magazines: the commercial and military.
- Commercial magazines are those that you see at your local gun store or online, while the military ones are made by Colt and have an “M” in front of their model number.
- While they look similar and fit into certain types of rifles, they’re not interchangeable with each other. That said, there are some exceptions to this rule as well—particularly when it comes to replacing worn parts on older models.
What Is The Largest Capacity Magazine For An Ar-15?
You may be asking yourself: “What is the largest capacity magazine for an AR-15?” The answer to this question depends on your specific needs. AR-15 magazines are available in a variety of capacities, sizes and materials.
The largest capacity magazine for an AR-15 is a 100 rounds magazine called the 100-Round MAG5-100 made by Surefire. There are also a handful of companies that make a 100 round drum for the AR-15.
If you are looking for a lightweight option with no added weight or bulk then polymer magazines may be your best choice. If you’re looking for something more durable then aluminum magazines would be better suited for your needs.
In addition to the material used to manufacture these cartridge feeding devices there are also different types of finishes available such as black oxide or nickel boron coating which can increase corrosion resistance while providing enhanced lubricity characteristics
What Is The Most Reliable Ar-15 Magazine?
The most reliable AR-15 magazine is the one that you can trust to work during your next defensive encounter. There are several factors to consider when selecting a magazine, including:
- Reviews—If you’re looking for a new magazine and don’t have time to conduct your own exhaustive research, check out magazines with good reviews.
- Reliability—A reliable magazine will feed bullets reliably each time you pull the trigger on your AR-15, which means fewer misfires and jams. Engage in a little trial-and-error with different brands of ammunition if necessary so that you can find out which brand works best with your rifle and preferred shooting range conditions (for example, humid vs dry).
- Durability—A durable magazine will not break or malfunction due to rough handling or accidental bumps against other objects in the field.
- Capacity—The capacity (number of rounds) should be within reason based on what kind of shooting situations you expect yourself into; however, more isn’t necessarily better here unless loading speed becomes an issue.
- Price—There are many affordable options available that offer excellent quality at reasonable prices; it’s rare nowadays though when I see people paying northwards $60 per unit.
How Many Ar-15 Magazines Should I Have?
The more magazines you have, the merrier. You’ll find yourself with more shooting time and more people to shoot with than ever before.
With multiple AR-15 magazines, your shooting experience will be much more enjoyable because you won’t have to reload as often.
Having a few extra mags means that if one magazine runs out of ammo, you can quickly change it out for a fully loaded one without missing a beat in your fun or having to wait for someone else in the group who has enough spare AR-15 magazines on hand.
It depends. If you want to be safe, have plenty on hand so that any time you need to reload, you can just grab a fresh mag from the box. This will allow for uninterrupted shooting and decreased stress.
You should also check the quality of your AR-15 magazines before using them as some may not be suitable for use in such situations due to their poor construction or material choice.